like most people i think i get caught up in the day to day and forget the overarching principles that define my life. who do i want to be and am i emanating that person on a daily basis? am i being the best version of myself, as a wife, mother, daughter, and friend? i know who i want to be but making it come to fruition is a winding tunnel of slip ups and try again’s. one day i am thrilled with the person i have become; relishing in the card i just mailed out for a friends birthday and high-fiving myself for fitting in a run during nap time. the next day i’m a ball of “what if’s” and i spend the day thinking “
i it would be better if i did it like so and so…”. i think reflection and improvement that is intentional is a great way to hone in on changing things about ourselves that we might not be happy with. this involves research, time, and dedication. change without intention results in ruminating over the same perfectionist thought until your mind resembles something like a spinning pinterest board. after having quite a few days of ruminating myself, i decided to sit down and write some intentional changes. things that i have noticed about myself (and things others have noticed, ahem, my husband) that i would really like to make different. i am a big mindfulness fan and since mindfulness and being intentional go hand and hand i think it’s a great place to start. it’s important to cultivate a space of forgiveness when thinking about intentional changes you would like to make. making changes doesn’t mean becoming perfect. we all need to be a little kinder to ourselves anyways. it means you are interested in becoming the best version of yourself, with the knowledge that no one one can follow their intentions 100% of the time. that’s why they’re called intentions.
here’s my list…
1. complain less.
2. do not cuss in social situations.
3. if the person is not there, do not talk about them. if you must- be nice, be brief. say nothing about them that you wouldn’t say to them.
4. go with the freaking flow.
5. plan less.
6. no fb/instagram/pinterest while avery is awake. he goes to sleep at 7:00 and then you can pinterest until your heart is content.
7. exercise 2-3 times per week.
8. is what you’re saying snotty? don’t be.
9. do not impose your will. education is different than imposition.
10. no one can make you feel any certain way without your consent.
“change is inevitable. growth is intentional.”- glenda cloud